Monday, November 5, 2007

Mom's Chili

This chili recipe is the one I grew up with. Some don't classify it as chili though because it has noodles in it which Ive been told is weird. I didn't like this recipe much as a kid because of the chunks of tomatoes and chili beans, but now I love every part of this recipe and it's mmmm good. I hope to make a pot of it tonight...maybe I'll take a pic and post it.

Bare with me because Im posting this recipe purely by memory and when I make it I just add whatever amounts I want, I think that's how mom makes it.

4 cups small shell pasta
(I usually use 1/2 box or whole box if Im making a big recipe)
1 lb ground beef
1 small onion (I usually cut a larger one in half)
1 can tomato juice (the bigger ones in the juice section)
1 or 2 cans tomatoes (I do 2 because I like cooked tomatoes)
(I usually get the ones that have chilies in it too for extra spice)
1 or 2 cans of chili beans (I usually do 2 and use the spicier ones)
2 sticks of celery, sliced
Chili powder (I just add however much until I like the taste)
Red pepper flakes (I just put in a couple dashes to make it a little more spicy)

In a small pot, start cooking your pasta. In a stock pot brown the ground beef with chopped onion. Drain the grease off the beef. Add tomato juice, tomatoes, chili beans and slices of celery and heat on low heat. Stir in chili powder and pepper. Drain noodles and add to the chili, stir and serve.

Some varieties I like with my chili is a dallop of sour cream on top and eat it with Fritos. Or sprinkle on (or if you're like my hubby dump on :) ) some shredded cheddar cheese and serve with crackers or corn bread.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh yeah.. so making chili tonight! thanks for the idea I was totally idealess for tonight!

Trudi said...

So did you make this recipe or your own chili recipe?

Melissa said...

I actually made my own recipe but i think it is very similar to Grandmas...