Saturday, November 3, 2007

Cheese and Potato Wild Rice Soup

Im a little late posting today but at least I still got it :)

This recipe is one my mom has been making for years, I made it last year (apparently for the first time for my hubby) and it's his favorite (along with the cheeseburger soup).

1/2 cup wild rice -- uncooked
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 pound bacon -- cut in pieces
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cans (10 3/4 oz.) cream of potato soup*
1 quart milk
2 1/2 cups grated American cheese or Velveeta cheese
Carrot curls -- (optional, to garnish)

*(Dilute with 1 can liquid - 1/2 milk; 1/2 water).

Combine wild rice and water in saucepan and cook over low heat for 45 minutes. Drain. Set aside. Fry bacon pieces and onion in skillet until bacon is crisp . Drain bacon and onion on paper towel. Place soup in large saucepan; dilute as directed above. Stir in milk (1 quart), bacon, onion, cheese and cooked rice. Stir until cheese is melted. Garnish with carrot. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so excited! Kinda weird I know... Aunt Debbie, Yes I do have a printer but I really should start wrting some of my recipes down so I dont add to my overcroweded pile of printed out recpies that dont fit in any recipe box! And if you guys have time you should stop over on our blog to see updated pics of Kaiden!

http://therakowskis.blogspot.com

Trudi said...

Hey Melissa I can link your blog to this one so they can check it out right from the main page.

Emmy said...

Trudi- Melissa told me about your 30 days of soup and as I was looking at this, I saw the wild rice one and I had to pull out my mom's recipe she gave me for 'cheese and potato wild rice soup' and it is identical to your mom's. Must have been passed around Rapids at some point! I always use cheddar cheese though but mmmm one of my favorite soups ever! Also a hint about this soup, don't let it boil once everything is combined at the end of cooking, else it will curdle (yes, i have done this of course)!!